Our Naturopathic Doctors in Mississauga have a large appreciation for traditional treatment methods such as Acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Medicine, and Homeopathic Medicine. Combining these traditional treatment methods with a modern view while utilizing Naturopathic assessments and lab tests is an incredible combination. This Naturopathic approach can help you reach your health goals.
Read below for information on Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine, Homeopathic Medicine, and Lab Tests /Assessments.
Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine
This system of diagnosis and treatment includes the use of Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine. A Naturopathic Doctor will observe the pulse and tongue to understand the strength or weaknesses in the patient’s body.
Acupuncture Can Be Very Effective For The Following:
- Lower Back Pain
- Stress and Anxiety
- Headaches and Migraines
- Tennis Elbow
- Recovery From Injury in Sport (sprained ankle, torn rotator cuff)
- Menopausal Symptoms such as hot flashes and night sweats
- Fertility and Labour
Acupuncture can be used to assist with a range of pregnancy related conditions, offering women an alternative to taking medication. For example, acupressure can be used during labour to help with tolerating contractions.
What are Some Concerns Throughout Pregnancy That Acupuncture Is Used to Help With?
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Constipation and Hemorrhoids
- Varicose Veins and Vulval Varicosities
- Headaches and Migraines
- Musculoskeletal Conditions such as Back Pain, Pelvic and Hip Pain
- Fatigue and Exhaustion
- Anxiety and Depression
- Itching in Pregnancy
- Hypertension disorders including pregnancy-induced hypertension
- Gestational Diabetes
- Breech and Posterior positioned babies
- Preparation for a Medical Induction
- Pre Birth Acupuncture to prepare the body for efficient labour
- Acupressure taught to support people to use for pain relief during labour
- Postpartum recovery
- Threatened miscarriage
- Early pregnancy supportive care
Pre Birth treatment with Acupuncture:
This involves weekly acupuncture treatments from 36 or 37 weeks to prepare for labour. Points that are used can help with preparing the cervix, helping position of the baby for the best presentation. Below are some points that our Naturopathic Doctors may use while utilizing acupuncture.
Acupuncture at the points Hegu LI-4 and Sanyinjiao SP-6 supports cervical ripening and can shorten the time interval between the woman’s expected date of delivery and the actual time of delivery. Rabl M, Ahner R, Bitschnau M, Zeisler H, Husslein P. Acupuncture for cervical ripening and induction of labour at term – a randomised controlled trail. Wien Klin Wochenschr 2001; 113 (23-24): 942-6
Research on the use of acupuncture to prepare women for labour first appeared in 1974 with a study by Kubista and Kucera. Their research concluded that acupuncture once a week from 37 weeks gestation using the acupuncture points Zusanli ST-36, Yanglingquan GB-34, Jiaoxin KID-8, and Shenmai BL-62 was successful in reducing the mean labour time of the women treated. Kubista E Kucera H. Geburtshilfe Perinatol. 1974; 178 224-
Breech babies are ideally treated between 34 – 36 weeks gestation. This is often a one off treatment with women being shown how to continue treatment at home with a moxa stick (a herb that has been shaped into a cigar like stick).
Interventions on BL 67 for women with a breech foetus at 33 weeks gestation.
van den Berg I, Kaandorp G, Bosch J, Duvekot J, Arends L, Hununk M. Cost-effectiveness of breech version by acupuncture-type interventions on BL 67, including moxibustion, for women with a breech foetus at 33 weeks gestation: a modelling approach. Complementary Therapies in Medicine 2010;18,
Minute amounts of a substance are given to stimulate the body to re-establish homeostasis or balance. A Homeopathic remedy will be prescribed after the Naturopathic Doctor has understood the mental, emotional and physical aspects of the patient’s illness and overall health. It can be used to treat both acute and chronic conditions.
“Homeopathy cures a greater percentage of cases than any other method of treatment. Homeopathy is a refined method of treating patients economically and non-violently” – Gandhi
Lab Tests and Assessments
For each patient there is a wide variety of testing available such as:
- Fertility Analysis (blood, saliva, sperm)
- Hormone Assessment (blood, saliva)
- Food sensitivity testing (IgE, IgG)
- Heavy metal testing (hair, blood, urine)
- Vitamin and mineral analysis (hair, blood)
- Cholesterol, Liver, blood sugar and immune function testing (blood)
- Adrenal analysis (saliva)
- Neurological analysis–neurotransmitter testing (urine, saliva)
- Broad spectrum stool analysis (parasites, bacteria, malabsorption, inflammation)
We remain committed to adhering to the highest possible health and safety standards to ensure the health and hygiene of all clinic visitors. We are following all guidelines from Ontario public health officials, and our governing bodies.